This article gives important basic concepts in Fluid mechanics and fluid machines used in mechanical systems. This subject is very much important for GATE exam because future M. Tech or M. E specialization are based on the basics of this subject.
- Hydraulic jump is used to reduce the energy of flow.
- The lowest portion to storage basin from where the water is not drawn, is dead storage.
- The pitot tube is a device used for measurement of velocity.
- Hydrometer is used to fine out specific gravity of liquids.
- Mach number is signification is case of supersonics, as with projectiles and jet propulsion.
- The fluid forces taken in to consideration in the Navier Stokes equation are gravity, pressure and viscosity.
- Rocks having excessive internal stresses, producing spalling, are called stratified rocks.
- Permissible velocity of water flowing through concrete tunnel, is generally 4-5 m/s.
- The maximum continuous power available from a hydro-electric plant under the most adverse hydraulic conditions is called firm power.
- The ratio of maximum load to the rated plant capacity is called utilization factor.
- Orifice refers to n opening in hydraulic structure with regulation provision.
- The value of coefficient of discharge in comparison to coefficient of velocity is found to be less.
- Weir refer to an opening having partially full flow.
- The pressure force, in Netwons, on the 15 cm dia head light of an automobile traveling at 25 m/s will be 6.8.
- Power transmitted through a pipe is maximum when the loss of head due to friction is one-third of the total head supplied.
Important basic concepts in Fluid Mechanics and machines (Mechanical Engineering) for GATE 2015 Part-1
Important basic concepts in Fluid Mechanics and machines (Mechanical Engineering) for GATE 2015 Part-2